Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Trip to San Diego, a Past Tense Perspective

From the time of leaving and the flight home, I look at how the trip went and what I might have done different. I even look at what I would do when I return. Of course, the last is "if I return." I did this with my Boston trip a year ago. I might run that analysis later.

I notice a change at the very beginning of this trip. Instead of flying into San Diego, fly into Los Angeles. From there take the train or a series of trains and light rail. A priliminary investigation shows two light rail connections to Union Station (see Metro Rail (Los Angeles County)), Amtrak Surfliner to San Diego, Metrolink to Oceanside and Coaster from Oceanside.

I could have spent more time in certain places, rather than being a drive by tourist. I am that, for the most part. There were a lot of places where all I did was get out of the car to take pictures. The most involved with anything was when I watched and videoed trains.

At Ocean Beach, I just looked at the beach. I guess that it was one of those places that I feel why go so far to enjoy when I could enjoy one within a couple of hours. There were a lot of places like that. There was very little of uniqueness to what I could do. Art museums, nature museums abound on the East Coast. Why take the time in California to go and see.

The best way to look at this is "how far would I travel to see something." The next would I just say might as well, while here. And much of that would be based on how much time I had.

As to the California trip, maybe a day or two longer, would be nice. A train up the coast, would be great. Even taking what we did, a little slower. It was a good visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment