Saturday, June 30, 2018

More on Boston

One of the interesting things about where we live, is that we have more fondness for a place after we leave, than when we lived there. Sometimes our problem with the place we live is more a way of allowing ourselves to move from there. It also may be that in absence, we forget the bad and only remember the good. Occasionally, it is the opposite. I can say that I have more fondness for Boston, now than when I lived in the area. It was more than 35 years ago since I left and I had a girlfriend here that I was going to. And than there is the great changes that have taken place, What was a bad neighborhood is now the place to live and those good places are now not so fashionable.

I became more fond of Boston in recent years. I love to take those one day trips, taking the overnight train in and out. My first time back after I left in 1983, was 2010. I flew to Boston Logan airport and took public transit for the days I was there. I did rent a car for the day for a trip up to the North Shore, where I lived, when I lived there. I even drove by the building that I lived in and got pictures. I never took picture of it, when I lived there.


I need to interject something at this point. I have tried to remember when, but could never get the timeline right, in my thoughts, on many occasions. I finally created a timeline of when I did what. going back to the beginning. Of course, I call it timeline. I have been referring to this as I type. I was looking at pictures of Boston, as I plan and just could not remember when. Now with the timeline, I know. 2010 was a week to Boston, flying from Richmond, VA. 2012 my first overnight. 2014 an across New England trip, similar to my 1978 trip. On both occasions I planned to drive through, not stay, in Boston. On that 1978 trip I pulled off the expressway, without planning it and to review the map (before GPS and Google Maps), next to South Station. I was coming through the west side and continuing south to Plymouth.



My December overnight without train watching but this upcoming will be mostly trains. My 2014 included trains and spent most on the north shore.

I began thinking about this trip as I was looking to my next Richmond trip. I had thought about taking it over the 4th of July. It would be in Richmond for the 4th, going to Boston before or after. I did give some thought about being in Boston for the 4th, That would not work out unless I spent the night in Boston. the overnight leaves too early for the concert along the Charles River. When I lived there, I did go to the Boston Pops concert for the 4th. Richmond has their concert in Dogwood Dell, which I went to last year. Cary, NC has their outdoor 4th concert, as well. I decided to stay home. Maybe next year I might go to Richmond or Boston for the 4th. When I lived in Richmond, I went to the Dell for their concert, every year except the first year.

So the plan is like this: Richmond, VA and spend the night. I might do some research in the State Archives, on my ancestors. I will spend some time visiting with friends. I will take the overnight train from Main Street Station, Richmond, VA to Boston, MA. I will stay for the day and take the overnight back. I chose Main Street because of its nature. When I love in Williamsburg, VA, Amtrak ran what was named the Colonial. They now run NE Regional on two of its schedules. When I took the Colonial, it Passed by Main Street Station, as the train made its way trough the interchange with the SAL. The old train shed was in shambles but still with the tracks in but the building was in deplorable shape. However, they did keep the clock running in the clock tower.

Some years ago, they renovated the building and began to stop trains there. They turned the train shed into a mall for a couple of years and from what I see there is more renovations on the shed being done. The old building looked good the last time I went there, although the shed was not renovated, at that time, or I could not go in there. It should be a good place to start my trip and a good place to end it.

No comments:

Post a Comment