Wednesday, July 4, 2018

A reflective Interlude on Boston

At this point, I should clarify my history with Boston. I did mention a New England trip, in 1978. It was a vacation soon after graduating college. I went north, across the river at Tappan Zee Bridge in Tarrytown, NY. and I 95 east to RI. I had relatives living there. I took Amtrak to NYC to visit my sister for a couple of days. I returned to RI and went north to Hancock Shaker Village, near Pittsfield, MA, It is a preserve Shaker Village. I was working for Colonial Williamsburg so I wanted to see other historic preservation. I than went east toward Boston, with a stop off at Old Sturbridge Village. I had met a former employee there, who came to Williamsburg, to take on a new job there. Finally I started to head south to Plymouth,  I was not planning to get off the Turnpike but head through Boston on the Turnpike and finally south without any touring of Boston. I did see South Station, as I said before, by getting lost.

My next encounter with Boston involved an overnight train trip on the Night Owl. I was a participant in a bookbinding seminar held at the Boston Public Library, on Copley Square. I got off the the train with instruction how to get to the Library. I did visit the bookbindery, about a block off the square (the building burned and the shop moved since then). About as far as touring goes, I did walk to the commons, seeking another library. I did go through Downtown Crossing on my way back to South Station. and saw that. Not much touring, other that bookbinderies and conservation labs.

That summer, I saw a notice from the owner of the first bindery that I visited in Boston, and went to interview. I can't remember any touring. I moved to Boston within a month. I lived in a couple of locations in the area those first months and finally settling in an Apartment in Lynn, 3 blocks from the train station. I commuted into north station on commuter rail. I was in Boston when the bridge carrying the trains into N station burned. The MBTA did a makeshift stop just across the river across makeshift platform from the orange line. I moved back to VA soon thereafter. I did not return until my vacation of 2010. I already talked about my 2012 overnight. my 2014 across New England trip, and last falls overnight. After my 2012 overnight I reworked my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment