Monday, July 23, 2018

Midday and Afternoon

From Cedar Grove I made my way to the Airport Station to see the Blue Line. I normally would not bother with the Blue Line. However, the Blue Line is duel power. That is, while underground, it is third rail, which is interesting but not something that I would video. Once it surfaces, the blue line is a trolley or overhead electric. It is at The Airport station that the pantographs go up going outbound and come down inbound.


After Airport Station, I make my way to North Station. You may remember that I had planned to take commuter rail out the Lowell Line and watch at Anderson. Also, than in looking at the schedule last week, I learned that trains were being substituted by buses along the line due to track work. I than chose to go out another line to photograph and video North Station Trains.

I arrived at North Station and found out that I misread the schedule. The Lowell Line trains were running and was only substituted by buses, on weekends. I think that when I checked the schedule last week it was on a weekend, so no trains then. I now had the decision to either change my itinerary back to Lowell or take my substitute. I chose to take the Lowell Line. At Anderson I spent a long afternoon watching seven trains, one which was Amtrak Downeaster.





After these three hours of railfanning, I made my way back to North Station and out past Copley Square to Northeastern University Station on the Green Line. This is the first above ground station on this branch of the Green Line. When I first visited Boston, the Green lines major cars were the old PCC Electric Streetcar. Some people call the Green Line the Green Line Trolley. When I worked their the alternated the PCC with the LRV, a newer light rail vehicle. There are several generations of LRV's on the Green Line and the old PCC cars were move to Mattapan Line which I saw first.


This ended my day of Train watching and now I made my way to South Station. I arrived with enough time to explore.



No comments:

Post a Comment