Sunday, November 4, 2018

My Next Trip, Part 2

I moved from Boston because of a girlfriend. She was an old girlfriend which I ran into, about a month before moving to Boston. She ask that I keep in touch. After settling in Lynn and about six months later, I was contacting old friends to let them know where I was. She was the only one who answered. A few months of writing, she came to Boston to see me and I made a trip back to Virginia to visit family and visited with her at the same time. I moved from Boston to be closer to her and her daughter, who she shared custody with. So, less than a year later I move from Boston. Because of the circumstance, I tried to tell myself that I did not like Boston. It was 25 years before I went back for a visit in 2010. I took a week off for this trip. I took Amtrak to Boston and took mostly the subway and commuter rail, to the places I wanted to see.

These were the days before Internet and personal computers. In exploring the area before and during my visit, I relied on maps and tourist information so I missed seeing a number of places, because I didn't know about them. I had more interest in returning to places I was familiar with while living there

I moved to a town near Hamlet, NC and put Hamlet and Boston into the website to see how they would take me to Boston. They recommended the Silver Star to Washington, DC and the overnight Northeast Regional from Washington to Boston. It is about an 7 and half hour layover in DC with leaving DC after 10 PM. I used an alternative by making the layover in Alexandria, VA. This lessened the layover by about almost an hour and but the station closed before the train arrived. I spent this layover touring the Washington, DC area.

I stayed near Copley Square, around the corner from where I worked, 25 years before. I did rent a car one day so I could take in the north shore where I lived. That gave me the ability to see High Tower and Lynn woods, in Lynn. I took a drive to Fort Independence in south Boston.

Just for fun, after getting home, I looked a planning a day trip in Boston. I would take train overnight to Boston and return over night. I would arrive early and just spend the day. I laid out a day of train watching, mostly north station trains and a piece of all 4 subway lines. I eventually took that trip. In thinking about another trip, I chose other, more I may decide to heading through Downtown Crossing and going to the commons and surrounding. Copley was nice along with the Prudential Center. Adding a lot of tourist sites and less trains.


No comments:

Post a Comment