Thursday, January 10, 2019

The Drive Home, Tuesday

I did not even cross a railroad track, except on overpasses, going some place. I decided that I might stop where I might watch and video, on my way down I 95 and US 301, on my way home. Looking at my memory as well as the map, I would pull off the interstate and take 301 south of Skippers, find a place and watch.  I stopped at the crossing, at Skippers, to see how good it was. Southbound was good but northbound not good as far as my standards go. Looking south, I did see what I thought might be a trains headlight. It was just a reflection off a metal shed. I than looked north and there is was. Even if I am checking a site out, I take my camcorder and camera, just in case something should come by. As luck would have it, a south bound freight. I did not have time to get my tripod, so I videoed the train, hand held.


After this train went past, I decided to continue on 301 until I got to a better place. I lived in Weldon, NC for a while and knew the area well. I decided that Halifax, NC would be the best place to stop and watch. I drove through town to find a pace to get lunch, Before I got back on the bypass, An Amtrak came through. As close as I can figure, it was a late Silver Star, Amtrak 92. I first stopped for a hot dog for lunch. I pulled over where I would watch and unfortunately, a south bound freight came through, before I could get set. I got settled in, set up my tripod, and was getting settled when the northbound Carolinian, Amtrak 80 comes by:


Over the next several hour, two freights came though. After I got home and began to get my video ready, I realized that the first of the two was the one that passed me in Skippers. I must have been delayed because of the Amtrak and the northbound freight. I was not trying to chase it. In fact I got my hot dog and got lost, in the meanwhile.



Finally, Amtrak 89, Palmetto, Southbound, finished out my afternoon:


As we can see any watch session combines luck and knowledge. Luck will cause us to miss and luck will allow us to catch the trains we want.

No comments:

Post a Comment