Friday, May 15, 2015

May 15, 2015, Friday, 7:35pm



May 15, 2015, Friday, 7:35pm

This is the perfect example of an entry that is both blog and journal. Today was the way a day off should be. In the past months, I have gotten involved with some make work project and not get started until after lunch. Today I took a real day trip to Charlotte, NC. It has been while, since I went there. The last I did some videoing of the light rail and see what was being done on the Streetcar lines.

I read somewhere in the past few weeks that the streetcars were being tested out. There is a YouTube video of the part of the test. The tracks and centenaries are in place but I saw no cars on the tracks nor any being held for service, the picture were of one of the vintage cars, used in the testing.

This sort of watching trip, normally would not be blogged but might be journal. The video would be uploaded to YouTube as a part of my work. However, today was rather interesting. I got a late start and it was questionable if I would be in position in time for the midday Piedmont. I left home around 10:00 am. I had a little trouble with the navigator on my phone, the maps app kept crashing. I think that I need an upgraded phone before vacation. After getting on the road, my navigator indicated that I would cut it close, having no more than 8 minutes.
My directions took me by way of a different route and I kept getting behind. I needed gas so I took the chance and stopped for gas halfway, knowing that it would making getting there in time to be impossible. It so happens that where I chose to watch, was about two miles north of the station and my information was the departure from the station, for the northbound. When I got to the street that the station was on I had gained the time so I went to the location. I pulled into a business parking lot and heard the horn so I moved quickly to get into position. Well! I was on the run as I began my video and happen to cut the first part, showing me while running.
As usual, NC ran a freight on the heels of the Piedmont.
Now came my exploration of town. I drove down to see the track for the streetcar but the cars were not out. Next I had lunch and headed back to watch the next Piedmont. It was southbound and I had plenty of time and went to my favorite place to watch. The construction you see is the work to extend the Blue Line Light Rail from downtown and will connect to the Amtrak Station. I almost missed another NS Freight.
Now I wait for the Southbound Piedmont.
Again on the heels of the Piedmont, NS has a freight. I have a better vantage for this one
After the freight went through, I drove home, down by the other side of the yard and the construction for the extension of the Blue Line and around to the station. I took a break on such a hot day and my car’s air conditioning was not working. OH yeah. All that was really wrong was that I had the fans set wrong. LOL. I did eat out at a nice place and home. This is what a real day out is like and for. OH I did look at Flixter to see if there was a movie, but there was not that interested me. (8:46PM) I am still waiting for the video to upload so I can attach them to the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment