Sunday, May 17, 2015

Railfanning toward Retirement, May 16, 2015, 4:46 pm

May 16, 2015, 4:46 pm


I have been moving to retirement, in other words, preparing for retirement. I started this back in Gaston. I had begun with my pension related issues, but this was different. I was in the market for a entertainment center. I had one, but left it behind when I moved, it being worn out. As I thought about a new one, I realized that if I got a good one that it would last until after retirement. I then started looking for better and more durable furniture, when I selected new stuff.


At this point I began thinking about how to retire, which is more the choice of what lifestyle, within reason, would I settle on. That might be living in a house or apartment. If I had bought a house years ago, I would be on the verge of or have paid off the house. I would be use to maintaining and upkeeping yard and house. More likely all the children have left home and we would be suffering from empty nest syndrome. Downsizing might be the answer. You may want to relocate to near children. House means work and an apartment gives a bit more freedom. A rental apartment means no yard work and repair done by the owners. (5:08pm)


(9:45pm) Next might be the size: one, two, or three bedroom and any number of arrangements. Then there are the amenities that each set of units have, such as washer/dryer, dishwasher, clubhouse, coffee bar, fitness center. All this makes the choice more personal.

The next thing is to decide where. I looked at every place I have lived. I add other, interesting places, and where relatives live. I let go of those where I knew would be uncomfortable living there.

No comments:

Post a Comment