Saturday, May 30, 2015

A Unsurprising Visit

I began to simply post my videos online rather than write a blog entry, for a simple day out watching trains. I might have a short Journal entry but nothing to write home about. Today, I took my day to drive to Fayetteville, NC, about an hour. It was not to be primarily a watching trip. I had some things to look for. However, there was something different, Today. I started by aiming for the Amtrak station via a ride along the tracks.

As I made a turn to check other destinations, I saw the train crossing the road, ahead, but I was not in a good position, so I bypassed the train and headed for the station. ( checked the status of the Palmetto and it was on time) but I still had more than an hour and half, before Amtrak would arrive. I then heading south to another favorite target and found the A&R doing some switching.
As I position myself at a crossing (to get the crossing horn) and under the shade of a tree (it was a hot day), along came, other railfans. And soon after that several more. I was turning into an event, you might say. They were all for out of town and this was really a good show for them. Of course I have know those feelings
Soon the Norfolk Southern came in to pick up for their interchange.
Later this day, while at the station, the train headed back and crossed the diamond over the CSX, the last part of this video.

I was getting close to the Palmetto, Northbound, so I headed back to the station. After a quick lunch, a the Subway in the station, The Palmetto passes though.
I was trying to decide what to do next, and walking the platform, hearing he local whistles than surprising me was a northbound CSX freight.
I started by saying this was not supposed to be a railfan trip, just a trip out of town, to do some shopping. So I headed to the mall. I got a handle on some things that I was looking for. Just before 3:30 I decided to head back for the 4:00 southbound Palmetto. I was running tight to the schedule, but maybe the train would be late. Yes! it was, about 20 minutes which gave me time to get myself in position. So, one more train video:
I called this an unsurprising visit, because of the usual among what was not to be usual. but happened anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment