Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Next Trip, Continuing

It has been a bit since I took my last trip and posted anything. It was a hot summer with the heat lasting into the fall. I am, only now thinking about trips. I spent the hot days doing another hobby, genealogy. I did get to my favorite watching spot a few times and post them on YouTube. I have three plans for Florida excursions. One the north Florida, the other to south Florida and one to that includes both. I have a Philadelphia excursion as well. This includes historical sites as well as trains. The one that I am thinking more about is my metro north trip. It is a trip to NYC and walking to sites in Manhattan. I include a park called High Line. It is an abandoned elevated freight line, turned into a park. I would like to take a trip to Metro North to see electrics. I think that Sanford would be ideal.

I got fixated a bit on a Chicago trip, with a side trip to Memphis (to see the hanging monorail). I looked at the various routes, 6 to be exact. One was discarded due to the amount and kind of layover (Washington to New Orleans to Memphis). From the transfer  in Washington, there are two ways to go. Another was via Philadelphia through Pittsburgh with a transfer in Pittsburgh and a run through Horseshoe Curve. Finally, Boston was a good option. The out, via Boston, was the only route that required an overnight stay. There was a problem with the return, however.

I got obsesses with the Boston layover. It was not to become too much a train watcher's stopover. I finally broke down and revised the Boston out and back, with less train watching as in the first draft. I still have some things to think about. Washington is a long and late layover. when I did the Boston out and back a few years ago, I did the layover in Alexandria so the layover was not so late. I took the subway around Washington, to see all sorts of things, associated with railroading. Most, I have done in the past and might not want to do that again. I could do that again, there are four locations to transfer but with drawbacks to all. Richmond is in a early connection but nothing nearby and little to do near the station, except for train watching. The same is said for Fredericksburg and there is not a waiting room.




No comments:

Post a Comment