Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Thoughts on Transfer in Boston

As I mentioned before, I began thinking about a trip to Chicago. The natural transfer would be Washington, but it would require an overnight because there was to little time between connections without the overnight. I thought about Boston as transfer, after an overnight to Boston. I would have four hours before the train to Chicago would leave. I thought about a little train watching. I had looked at a good location to watch trains coming out of South Station. I had stood at the end of the platform, in previous trips. I looked on the map and found a park in perfect location. I expanded on that to include the Tea Party Ship and Museum. I had overlooked that in my various trips into Boston. That would cover a portion of the layover. I began to think about just an overnight to Boston, with layover on the way.

I expanded my visit to Boston. Unlike the other plan, less emphasis was placed on train watching and more on other places of interest. Of course, I could not go to Boston without some looking at the commons and walking through it. I than noticed that this track would come close to the Chinatown gate. This expanded the track. When I live in Boston, 35 years ago, I worked near Copley and Prudential. My vacation to Boston, 7 years ago, included the Prudential Observation. It seems, in the time I live in Boston and the several trips to Boston, I never spent any time In Brookline. I did take the green line to Forrest Hills and to Boston College, although O have very little memory of what I saw. So I thought about touring or seeing some of Brookline with time spent at the Landmark Center, in particular.

I should take the rest of the trip in less scheduled format and end up in Prudential tower for a night time view of Boston. Still to be decide is the return, from South station or Back Bay. The criteria to such decision would include time. There is only 6 minutes difference so I would not board a great deal earlier at South Station. The next would be comfort of the stations and the surroundings, still, no difference. As I recall, I am near Copley and Prudential at Back Bay. Not much at South Station, a little like Union in DC. It would be to dark too do much train watching. Besides, I would be too tired at that time, after a full day of touring.

No comments:

Post a Comment