Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Day 4, Atlanta

The original plan was to visit Rock City on this morning. However, I thought that I would forgo that for this trip. So now I leave Chattanooga early and not head for Atlanta, GA. I made one major change in my itinerary. I had, originally planned to park, one stop from the airport, and use that as my operation center. From there, I would do my visit of the Plane train at the airport and than take  MARTA down to Peachtree Center to look at the progress on the streetcars. I was not sure of what to expect but suspected that the streetcars were yet to run.

I took MARTA to the airport. MARTA is identical to the Washington Metro and come under my heading of subway, although above ground for most of its paths. It is third rail with its own separate line. It if for that reason that I do not have any pictures or video of MARTA. Arriving at the airport, I went to the SkyTrain and took it too the rental car facility. There, I too a series of videos from different windows. They are pasted together here:


I had considered getting an Atlanta mug while there, but Atlanta was only a rail watching destination, not a destination destination. I only looked for railroads, except for some public space art and the streetcar line. And at a couple of stops, the view of the Atlanta skyline.


I was tempted to do a slideshow of the last two frames and label it the Atlanta Streetcars operating on July, 2014. Yes, they were not running, as yet. I talked with someone who would know and he said that projected, they are not to run until end of November. Merry Christmas, I guess.

I arrived back to Perimeter Mall and proceded to Stone Mountain. I had made hotel reservation near the main gate. There I spent the night before visiting the park, the next day.

There was a good reason for parking at the Mall rather than near the airport. Stone Mountain is east of Atlanta, the northern par of Atlanta. The mall would mean a more direct path to the park. Besides, I would not have to backtrack on my way south.

No comments:

Post a Comment