Sunday, November 27, 2011

International Civil Rights Center & Museum, Greensboro

My turnaround in Greensboro was uneventful, maybe dissappointing from a railfan perspective. For more than a 5 hour layover, I neted nothing in railroad video. My I was not in position for two trains to video. The return train came into the station too late to be videod. Hoevever, the experience was not without merit. On my last visit to Greensboro I became familar with the International Civil Rights Center & Museum, in the old Woolworth's site of the 1960 sitins that integrated lunch counters. It is complete with the original lunch counter.


All images are from the Museum Web site International Civil Rights Center & Museum


I highly recommend this museum. The exhibits are ceative and inspiring. For myself, a white male in the south, this hits home particularly. I was 10 years old when this chapter of the Civil Rights Movement occured. We must remember that this movement in history was necessitated by racism. Racism is not just prejudice, but a position, power, preferencal treatment due to the perception of race. Through Civil Rights Movements, we hopefully will learn how to level the playing field for all.

When in Greensboro, NC, for whatever reason that might be, don't miss this landmark!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment