Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Cameras

Cameras are the railfan's best friend. They have change a bit over my lifetime, not to mention all time. I remember playing with mom's old box Brownie. My first real camera was not much different, just a little more modern looking, a white plastic Brownie. I was still a grade schooler and made the mistake of leaving it in the rear window of the car on a hot day and.... you got it, it melted.

I made another foray into pictures with the Polaroid swinger. But it was not so good, first you took the picture and waited for it to develop to see what you got. besides, it was only black and white. When I was in college I got my first SLR. That was when I got into railfaning and into photography, generally. Than there came the digital revolution. My first digital was relatively inexpensive. It was the digital equivalent to the Instamatic. I finally got around to my first digital SLR, and now my second.

I am on my third level of camcorder for video. My first was a 8 track video tape camera because the beta and the VHS were too heavy. My next was  mini DVD and now a lighter and basic SD card. Add to this, cameras with cell phones.

I am selective when it comes to cameras. My cell is used for family and church occasions. Any time I want to have pictures but not carry a camera. For most occasions when I want good pictures or more control I turn to the SLR. All my Railroad pictures are with the SLR and camcorder. Same of all the dedicated vacation pictures.

I was out a couple of weeks ago and came upon railfans. Most had their SLRs and one used only his cell. I am no to that point, yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment