Saturday, June 27, 2015

Final Preparations, Part 2

As I look forward to leaving on vacation, I also think about general housekeeping. One thing that require a bit of planning, is to clean out the fridge. I don't mean that in the housekeeping sense. It is a bit disconcerting to return and open the fridge and the aroma of spoiled milk or something else, comes out. We need to time our food usage  as not to leave perishables to spoil. Milk sours and bread molds. It is not pleasant return to find mold in the coffee maker. So the best to do, is to use up everything, or carry some with you. You can make sandwiches for a couple of days to use old lunch meat and bread. If you have more lunch meat than you want to use, it can be put in the freezer for when you return. They warn not to freeze coffee or bread. I use to do that all the time, buying a couple loaves of bread. I would buy 2 or more pounds of coffee and freeze it until I perked another pot of coffee.

All this takes some planning. On my recent trip the Wilmington, NC. I took one left over banana. It stayed in the car until I got home....black and mushy. The best Laid plans, .....

One other thing to plan ahead for is to clean out the DVR. You will be gone for a while and have a lot of TV to record so you need to clear a lot of space on the machine. You might have an app to operate your dvr from your phone. My cable provider has such app. You cannot delete, I don't think, but you can remove a show that you have schedule to record. And I cannot stream already recorded shows. OH well!!

Of course you have your table and laptop with you, and could stream TV and movies to your room, though the hotels WiFi or your personal hotspot. And you can head for the coffee shop and use their free WiFi to stream TV, should you want to.

All this last minute planning thoughts bring to memory, all that our family would do duing vacation. Dad your head out early and come back to the room with those individual boxes of cereal (they never had enough for me to get what I wanted). Of course he would get milk for that cereal. Of course that was before hotels provided a simple breakfast bar. We never left for breakfast, either. Now I look at the breakfast bar and decide at the time. Too often, there is just too much carbohydrate and not enough protein, in the format I want. I have my favorite places to go for breakfast, not McDonalds or their kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment