Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Tuesday Evening, Copley Square

The mention of North Point Park in the last post, opened me to a discussion to cameras and other toys we take on vacation. I have three cameras. The first is a DSLR and used for all my real photography. This is taken always. The second is my camcorder. I have a mini DVD recorder to replace my older 8ml. The third is simply my cell phone camera. I decided at the last minute not to take the camcorder. For static, they are not a good recorder of vacations. They are better for moving objects. As railfan, I am using them for passing trains. However, I have taken still photographs of trains longer and still do.

With a camcorder, it is best to set it on a tripod so as not getting camera shake. If you are good, and you edit right, you can do it without a tripod. However, I like to take still picture of trains as the camcorder takes motion. The tripod become better. However, I did not want to carry the tripod for the few times I wanted to use it. North Point Park would have been good for the camcorder and having the car made it easy to have. Other that that, the points where I would watch trains and the amount carrying, was more than I wanted. Leaving out the tripod was a good idea. But leaving the camcorder behind would limit what I took with me.

Tuesday evening (the second day), change again, the itinerary. I walk around the area near the hotel. I made it done to Copley Square and got picture of the church and the library. Strick that from the list of things to do on the third day. My first leg, instead of hoofing it, would be by subway, to Arlington. I walk past the Copley Hotel. Years ago, before I moved to Boston, I attended a seminar and stayed at the Copley. Even then, it was majestic.

The Copley Square Hotel
The seminar was in the Library, which has been enlarged since then

Facade of the Public Library, a I first saw it.
I love that old church on Copley Square.

Facade of the Public Library, a I first saw it.
Trinity Church on Copley Square
At this point, a reflection of what seen to this point. The Harbor was beautiful and worth the effort to photograph in day one and 2 even more reflection will come, of course.
Boston Harbor Hotel at Rowes Wharf
If going back would I try to picture it again. Probably not. What about my visit to South Station?

South Station
I am a railfan. I will visit and picture trains in and out of the station. This would be especially true if new equiptment is brought in. What about the North Shore trip? Here I would try something new such as Saugus Iron Works, Lynn Reservation, or Salem. There are more train watching activity on the North side of Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment