Monday, May 1, 2017

Homeward Bound

After my day of sightseeing, I took the subway and bus back to the Amtrak Station. This was a suburban station, even when the Southern RR was using it. I noticed that they had added on to the station, since my last visit, so it was not as small. The train was about 20 minutes late, arriving Atlanta and about 20 minutes late arriving in Washington. I decided to go to Arlington Cemetery. I took the subway to the entrance of the cemetery.


I saw this sculpture before getting to the visitor center:
Visitor Center:


The classic National Cemetery layout. There were fancier stones, as well. The last layout has the Lee House on the Hill. Story has it that R.E.Lee tried to decide to go north or south. He decided to go south. When north won Arlington, they confiscated his home and immediately named it a national cemetery. This was to be revenge for his choice to join the south. To keep him from returning, the first grave sites were set close to the house.
Classic is the grave of John F. Kennedy, with the eternal flame. I still remember his assignation. I was in 7th grade and the announcement was made while in class. The school became dead silent for almost 5 minutes, before we could talk about it. We were home for the funeral and the site of the caisson traveling to Arlington Cemetery.
From the grave site is this view to Lincoln Memorial.
More views of the cemetery
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier:

No comments:

Post a Comment