Sunday, January 9, 2011

Carolina Southern, part two

I took the usual tour and headed south to Conway, SC. After some driving, I left the side of the railroad to find a restroom. I drove back to the court house to use their bathroom. Across the street was the old railroad station. As is common in many towns, the railroad station may be moved from the main line and restore or renovated. It than may take up public use as a library, restaurant, playground restroom, or some else. Here we have the same. However, I am not sure of what use this is put to. I do note that in fashion, elsewhere, an old caboose has been place in front or near by.


South of Tabor City I say the number 100 and a little further down the road, 4002.


Another view of luck and not turning around and finally getting the following. I arrived in Conway and had lunch. I drove down by the river and there were hoppers from the power plant, no switching, however, could be seen. Back uptown and around an interesting back road, called depot street. It might be a clue. It was a narrow road between swampy land. I came to this interesting station. Curiosity got the better of me. It did have a lot of ACL character. It was a station that began as a ACL station and after CSX came along the line became the Waccamau Coast Line, connecting Conway with Myrtle Beach, SC. More research is needed. For a short while ran excursions but what is their current statud? They are owned by The Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad, which owns the CSRR.


My trip from Chatbourn to Conway followed the rails as much as possible. The return trip was looser. Still, I parralled the tracks for the first half of the drive. I was looking for the second engine when I was what I thought was engine's headlight. As I got closer, I realized that it was not the headlight, a reflection of the engine. Further along, I did see the headlight of an appoaching train. I pulled over where and got into position. A chase to the another crossing and the following is the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment