Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pallmeto Brick Yard short line

I left the Pee Dee River and headed for Cheraw. I wanted to see the South Carolina  Central Railroad that runs out of Cheraw and goes south toward Society Hill. An unconnected part runs north out of Florence and around to Bishopville, via Hartsville. Before the tracing of the SCCR, I headed down to Palmetto Brick plant south of town. There is a three foot gage between the plant and the mud yard.

I than followed the South Carolina Central to Society Hill. The line looked as if it had not been used in a long time. At Society Hill, I came accross the old Cheraw and Darlington Station, no tracks leading to the station. According to the marker, it was moved to this location.
As in all railfan trips, there are expected and surprises. A surprise is this tank car, abandoned for 15 years (according to a man I talked to), This is the end of the line in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment