Saturday, December 9, 2017

On Road, Second League

Normally, I do not blog as I go, but might make notes as I go. As i went, I made a few more journal entries than usual, as seen below, I will add notes as I go. The Journal entry is bold and I am inserting changes and additions.

[Day 2, Tuesday December 5, 2018]

6:45 AM We are stopped in Providence, RI. My first experience with Amtrak was taking the train from Providence to New York visiting Don and Sally and then Ann in the fall of 1978. I took the Chesse Steam special and then on to New England. I was still in Williamsburg. [my seat was not good to see the Providence and Worcester Railroad. In the 2012 excursion, in Providence, I saw the P&W and the Circus Train.]

[When I got into South Station, I saw that there was an unusual hook-up on the train. In Washington, Amtrak switches motive power from Diesel to Electric. For some reason, they use both diesal and electric in a two engine hookup.

In South Station, I got a day pass for the T, allowing me to use the public transit for the day. This will be quicker and better than individual fares. I got a bite to eat at South Station and prepared for the next part of the trip. The original plan was to walk to Rolling Bridge Park.




Instead, I took the T and walked from the nearest T station.

When I was planning for this trip, I was looking for a good place to video trains coming out of South Station. I saw this entry for Rolling Bridge Park.

 


Rolling Bridge is centered on the old lift bridges coming in and out of South Station. Looking at the pictures, it more of a historical site or memorial than a true park. It is separated from the rest of the city by industry. The only thing connecting it to anything is that it is at the end of the Harborwalk. It seems small and apart from the rest of the city, to be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment